Book viewings, submit offers and valuations online 24/7

  0203 5000 999         Login  / Register   

Paperwork for Your Home Sale

Here is a list of key documents that you will require when selling your house. In some instances, you will only have hard copies, but much of paperwork is now done digitally. In any case, it can be helpful to keep notes on where to find a particular piece of information online (for example website of stagers you consider using). Also keep notes on which document will be stored in your safe deposit box or your attorney’s office.

Documents to be prepared

To keep hard copies, create files with related titles for each of the following and keep them in a locking file cabinet or somewhere secure. The same files you need will vary by state and local real estate practice (you need to check it with local real estate agent), here are few to help you:

  • Mortgage and financing documents
  • Absolute sale deed in present seller’s name
  • Latest tax paid receipt
  • If any loan outstanding on the property, latest statement from bank
  • Latest electricity bill and receipt for the said flat
  • NOC from Apartment Association
  • Sanctioned building plan
  • Conversion order issued by
  • Homeowners’ insurance related record
  • Professional inspection reports done before putting your house up for sale
  • Tax records you may need to provide the buyer, such as real estate or any other tax information related to house.
  • Original sales contract for your house, with the purchase price
  • Documents related to title and ownership of your home, property survey, certificate of occupancy etc
  • The professional appraisal done when you bought your house and any documented changes to the appraisal since then
  • Receipts and documentation of improvements you’ve made to your house
  • Home maintenance and repair records
  • Warranty manuals of appliances
  • If you are in a homeowner’s association, all related documents, such as CC&Rs
  • and anything else that is related to your sale.

After You Sign a Listing Agreement

Once you have signed a listing agreement with your agent, he will help you figure out other paperwork and documents you will need at various points in the selling process. It will include:

  • File of your real estate agent and written communication
  • Details on various professionals that you have worked with throughout the sale process, like stagers, electricians etc
  • Files of your lawyer
  • Your accountant file or of tax professional
  • Sale prices of comparable houses that were recently on the market
  • Marketing material, ads and listing sheets
  • Disclosures
  • Purchase offers from prospective buyers and all other related material
  • and much more, such as paperwork regarding title insurance and documents you will need for the closing.

So what is confirmed after I got the property documents are:

  • The seller is the genuine owner of the property
  • The documents are genuine, hence no fraudulent deals.

Can I ever overemphasize the importance of checking the property documents? The answer in No. But can I confirm that i got a good night’s sleep after I got all the documents from the seller? The answer is an emphatic Yes! Do seek expert advice and make your own decisions.

Any queries, feel free to contact 99home.

Cookies disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to deliver better content and for statistical purposes. You can disable the usage of cookies by changing the settings of your browser. By browsing our website without changing the browser settings you grant us permission to store that information on your device.